Monday, March 10, 2008

I'm Stills In Love

On Saturday night I saw The Stills at Bowery with Alex, Emily, and Marcus. WOWEEWOWEEWOWEE they were so great! They played the first few songs pretty much in the dark (just a few vertical fluorescent bulbs in the background) which made the stage look really cool. During 'Still In Love Song' the disco ball started spinning which made the lighting even cooler. The new songs were great, esp all of the guitar parts. My fave of the night was a new one, I didn't catch the name but I know they played it after another new one titled 'Eastern Europe.' Also, they did the disco ball spinning thing during 'Lola Stars and Stripes' which sounded most fabulous (they had the audience sing part of that as well.) This was the best time I've seen them by far. Not sure what Ryan and Gareth were talking about when they said they wanted to kill themselves all sorts of ways last time they saw them. I forgot my camera, boo, but it took me only 22 minutes to get home. I heart the Williamsburg bridge!

Last Saturday in Hoboken was a bust. I got to the Path and each queue for train tickets was about 20 people long. I spotted a sign that said that the convenience shop sold tickets, so I got off to buy one there thinking I was outsmarting everyone. I didn't think of the obvious though - that the shop would be sold out of single tickets and I'd have to get back in the machine line. Two women had done the same thing and we figured why don't we grab 8 more people and then we could get an 11 ticket card and just pass it back. We did that, giving the cashier $2 each (no one realized a Path ticket is only $1.50), and the two bitches I planned this with kept all of the change! I think it was only about $7, and I couldn't be bothered to say anything though so it's partially my own fault, but still grrrr!

So I got to Hoboken, found Kat and attempted to find Erica and Jenn and the 10343 other people they were with. It was basically a game of cat and mouse (me and Kat going to meet them, we'd get to the spot and they'd left) until we gave up and decided to go into the bar with the shortest line. We waited 20 minutes, got to the front and found out it was a $20 cover. Um, yeah right, I wouldn't even pay 12 cents to get into some crappy Hoboken shithole. Turns out the girls actually paid $30 to get into the first bar at 11 am which is totally ridiculous.

Kat and I turned around (can't believe we left the state for that) and headed back to the West Village. We spent the day drinking in Fiddlesticks instead, took our drunk asses to karaoke where not one person applauded us as we laughed through all of 'Unwritten', met a supposed drug dealer at No Malice Palace who was telling me how he goes to dominatrix houses and plays "Scrabble" (whatever that means), and then we (me and Kat, not me and the drug dealer) stuffed our faces with brickoven pizza at Three of Cups. I had a great day in the end, just wish I didn't haul my ass to Jersey in the first place. Note to self - Do not go to St. Patrick's Hoboken ever again!

Um hi, they played Air Traffic on One Tree Hill AGAIN last week! This time it was 'Never Even Told Me Her Name.' Stop jocking their sweat, how many times do I have to tell you they are mine!

On Friday night I went with Celine to see her brother act in a Fordham show. I knew it was by the writer of the Vagina Monologues but it didn't make me expect anything out of the ordinary. It turned out to be 10 monologues mostly about rape, abuse, and degradation of women which is always a blast on a Friday night. It was mostly depressing, though I couldn't stop laughing to myself at the end when the final person declared 'NEW ORLEANS IS THE VAGINA OF AMERICA!' I am now going to call Ryan "The Vagina Warrior" for the rest of his existence (he totally set himself up for that.)

The final thing I have to say is that I've lost 9.6 lbs. in two months, yay! Okay bye.

4 comments:

manilagirl said...

Ok 2 questions:
Why were you in Jersey?
Why oh why were people paying $30 to get into a bar at 11am?

Meredith said...

Actually it was New Jersey (I should have clarified that for those abroad.) Every year they do their own version of St. Patrick's Day (actually it was on St. David's Day this year which is quite funny) about 2 weeks early all day on a Saturday. It's basically a huge frat party all over Hoboken (popular place in NJ for young people to live, close to Manhattan.) Since everyone runs to Hoboken once/year for this, the bars charge ridiculous covers and have humongous queues, and once you get in, you can't go outside to smoke, make a phone call, nothing. You are basically stuck there unless you want to pay again or go somewhere else and pay. I survived it a few years ago but after this time I am never going back there for fake St. Pat's!

Big Daddy said...

You have been tagged!

Meredith said...

This is one tag I must refrain from doing. It's all the questions I get forced to answer before being allowed to participate in focus groups. They take me about 30 years to think of intelligent and witty answers so I must take a pass!