Wednesday, March 26, 2008

He Said He Had Some Songs To Play

I have been to wayyyy too many gigs lately. There are positive and negative things about this.

Positives:
Cool for my image
Live exposure to bands I like
See some of my gig buddies

Negatives:
Late shows = bad commute
Extremely tired at work
My bank account has depleted

This has been my show line-up from the last two weeks:
The Stills @ Bowery
The Pigeon Detectives @ Bowery
Bell X1 @ Bowery
Ash @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
The Ting Tings @ Mercury
Longwave @ Mercury

And I have coming up:
Elbow @ Webster
The Verve @ Wamu theater
Augustana @ Bowery

Tickets pending:
Eric Hutchinson @ Mercury
George Michael @ MSG - I just heard about this, I am so freakadoodlingdoo excited!!!!

I forgot my camera for The Stills and Pigeon Detectives (still can't believe how good The PD were live. When asked what they sound like prior to the show, I answered with "They are a band that in a year from now I'll have been embarrassed to say that I went to see them live.) It's good, basic British pop and they were so energetic live, I defo recommend. I only saw the final two songs by the opener, Your Vegas, and I'm pissed that i didn't see the whole thing as they sounded pretty good.


I did remember my camera for Bell X1. Before that though, we did phony St. Patrick's day at Fiddlesticks and Ulysses (my first time in a financial district bar - quite nice I have to say.) I had the most awesome dillyboppers ever - two drunk leprechauns made out of felt with surrounding shamrocks!!

Jenn, Meg, Moi, Travis, Kristine

No Irish car bombs for me, I have issues chugging under pressure.

My St. Pat's BFF Deanna is to my right. I did not get any photos of Kristine and her sister pole dancing on the 6. Unfortunate!
I paced myself throughout the day (5 beers in all) so I'd still be alive for Bell X1. The singer told a story about how their sound engineer (I think) lost his luggage courtesy of the airline, had to buy all new clothes, then the band's tour bus (formerly Tim McGraw's) caught on fire, and all of the poor guy's clothes went up in flames. You can read more about that here (explained better.)

The band were good, as they have been the few times I've seen them. I still cannot get over how the singer is like 7'4" and the rest of the band is about 4'7" (combined.) But of course height does not a good band make.

They played 'West of Her Spine' in response to a request during the encore. That filled me with glee!

It was an Irish-filled weekend for me as on real St. Pat's I saw Ash. I should have been more excited for this (as if eating at Sea wasn't enough to put me over the edge, so yum), I was just tired, and the band going on at 11 pm did not put me in the mood. Ryan and I watched part of the first opener, Levy, who were okay. Nightmare of You were next but I sat my lazy ass on the couch downstairs and kept my ears open for 'My Name Is Trouble'...which they never played!...Glad I got my spot on the sofa!!

The second Ash came on, all of my tiredness and laziness went away. With every song I got more and more excited, and they once again reinforced why they have remained in my top bands for the last 10 years. I wish I could pick a favorite of the evening, but everything was so awesome that I absolutely could not narrow it down unless if forced to by gunpoint (though I prob still would refuse to.) And, they played pretty much a greatest hits set which was totally my dream come true - everything from 'Jack Names the Planets', to 'Goldfinger', to 'Renegade Cavalcade.' (No 'Sometimes' - my favorite Ash song, well tied with Renegade, but all was forgiven.) I can even bring myself to say that I like Twilight of the Innocents now (sorry, but I just could not get into it when I bought it over the summer.) Speaking of, they initially came out to the uber pretty Twilight music which made my heart go aflutter. Ahhhhh.

Also, the venue was not crowded at all! I was probably about 5 standing rows back with tons of space around me. (I also realized that I definitely still suffer from the (fill in the blank depending on show, in this case Tim-Wheeler-is-singing-every-song-directly-to-me syndrome.)

Have some "Oh Yeah"


Look into my tired eyes

OR...Giving me the Evil Eye?

OR...Chromium Lips and Metallic Eyes

Here's to Uncle Pat

On Tuesday night, I went to see The Ting Tings with Ryan at Mercury. A show starting at 7:00 pm was something I definitely could not pass up, plus I love 'Great DJ' (I kept hearing it every 2 seconds on XFM and finally found out who it was a few weeks ago.) They opened with that, and although I didn't know any of their other material, all of it was quite catchy and the chick is mesmerizing to look at.

Hot lead singerHot drummer too

She can actually sing AND dance
I don't know what this song is called

Although there was a backing track, it only helped (how far can a sound go with just a guitar and drums anyway?)

I would see them again and I definitely recommend.

On Friday night, I went to Jen's after work and ordered sushi while she forced me to watch America's Best Dance Crew. Faith and Kristine came over to tell us about their new apartment and I took photos just because.
Faith wore her "I heart life" shirt to work. Oh the irony (poor Faith has been working 7 days a week.)
Me, Jen, Faith
Maximillian & Er
Then we went out for a bit for Jon's bday. I think I can safely say that he drank a lot.
I brought my camera to the Longwave show, but I was too embarrassed to use it. Just not the appropriate crowd ya know?

So, I only had the first cd of this band from a couple of years ago, I have no idea how I had heard of them or why I bought it, and I haven't listened to it in ages (except for 'Tidalwave' which I love), but I always remembered it being good, hence buying a ticket for the gig. Over the past week I've been listening to The Strangest Things again and it really is a great album. I copied the second cd from a friend, and it's not as good, so if you listen to 'Tidalwave' and like it (you will), then you should check out album numero uno.

I went to Tiswas afterwards and I danced to the correct DJs this time.

Current Music: The Automatic - Monster

No comments: