Friday, February 08, 2008

Big Yellow Taxi

Last night I went to Professor Thoms to watch the Red Sox game Lost. They showed it on all of the screens and everyone was so serious about it. Like, the whole bar kept quiet when it was on (and I was very impressed.) Each week they pick a phrase or something similar used on the show (ex: "The Others", when Sawyer calls someone a nickname), and every time this happens the whole bar gets free "tropical" shots. Bad luck last night though - "Oceanic 6" was only said in next week's coming attractions. We had all thought we were gonna get wasted!

Also, who the freak is their DJ? He/she was playing some random British stuff during the commercials that I never hear in the U.S. (such as 'Into the Fire' by Thirteen Senses.) I was pleasantly surprised by that.

Before last night's events I saw a crazy accident. Well, I didn't see it but I heard it, and then what I saw after was unabashedly funny. The first thing I noticed a was big security truck - the type that looks super-secure as it's probably made to transport really dangerous criminals. So, its front bumper was pushed forward on the side which didn't look too serious. Then I saw the other party involved - a yellow taxi which had it's passenger side back door torn halfway off. When I say halfway, I mean the door was still closed and the window was in place, but the yellow part was skimmed off (yet was still attached to it's other half) which was now parallel to the trunk. It's hard to explain if you didn't see it but it looked like something out of a Seinfeld episode. People on the corner of 14th and 2nd were actually laughing out loud and tons were taking photos on their camera phones. I felt bad but it didn't look like anyone got hurt. On top of that, I am pretty sure it must have been the cabbie's fault by the way the damage was done. That is unless the truck backed up too quickly rather than the cab accelerating too fast past the truck. This is why I always buckle my seatbelt in cabs people!

My weigh-in at Weight Watchers was fabulous on Saturday. By some way of a miracle I lost 5 lbs in one week! Back in the day when I used to weigh more than I did now and was following the program I never lost that much poundage in one week. To conclude this paragraph, I would simply like to say, "YESSSSSH!"

Although this is obviously old news, the Giants won the Super Bowl. I only usually watch a few football American football games per year (always including the Super Bowl of course.) I did watch the playoff game in which the Giants got through and it was such an exciting game that it made me really pumped to watch the final (eew, that sentence sounded so "sportsy.") Although I am from NY and I am all for the Giants (despite not being a hardcore fan), I fully admit that I went into this thinking that the Giants fans seriously had to be kidding themselves if they expected their team to win. I thought that they would definitely make it a close game, but in no way did I expect to witness what went down. It was so exciting! And, on top of that, I won the half time and third quarter in the pool. Boxes were $2 each and I put in $14 total. We had about 10 empty boxes (not enough people to participate) so we said that if one of those were to win, we'd roll the money from that quarter to the next two. So, what do you think happened...money from Q1 rolled over into Q2 and Q3, and I won them both with the Pats beating the Giants 7-3 at those times. I was rooting for the Giants, but at the same time I was also rooting for my wallet so all in all I came out a great winner, with $80 and a Giants win. This will make my 3rd Super Bowl party in a row in which I've won the pool!!

I heard 'Screaming Infidelities' by Dashboard Confessional yesterday. I'd totally forgotten about that song, and about how I used to love these lyrics:

Well as for now I'm gonna hear the saddest songs
And sit alone and wonder
How you're making out.
But as for me, I wish that I was anywhere
With anyone
Making out.

and also these:

Your hair, it's everywhere
Screaming infidelities
and taking its wear.

EMO-tastic!

Glastonbury headliners have been announced: Kings of Leon, Jay-Z, The Verve. What the fug?! Kings of Leon are HEADLINING?! Pfffft whatever.

Yesterday was a slow day at work so I got to finally play Rock Band. I'd never done the guitar or drums before. I anxiously decided to start with 'Don't Look Back in Anger' as my colleague downloaded the Oasis pack but boy was that a disaster - I failed after about 6 seconds. So I switched to some of the easier songs and I think I've pretty much got the hang of it (scoring in the 90s for the easy level.) I did go back to 'Live Forever' on drums which was alright after I got the hang of using the kick pedal. I ended up playing for like an hour yesterday. I wish I got paid to do that everyday!!

I just realized that 'Gravity's Rainbow' was deleted off my iPod when my computer crashed. That's the song that started it all! I am annoyed.

Has everyone started practicing saying "President McCain" yet? Not that I have, I just figured I would ask though.

Current Music: Belle & Sebastian - Step Into My Office, Baby

No comments: