Monday, January 07, 2008

Gig Wrap-Up 2007

I was seriously lacking in gigs this year (I actually went to less in 2006, but I also went to the Camden Crawl and Benicassim then which made up for it.) I'd have to say that moving back to Queens was the major factor in skipping a bunch of shows, though I can't deny that prices are not so favorable to me now that a lot of my bands have gotten more popular in the States. Here were my gigs of 2007:

Band/Opening Act - Venue
Album Chart Show - The Feeling/Klaxons/Lady Sovereign/Fall Out Boy
Air Traffic/Arizona - Canal Room
Athlete - Highline Ballroom
Biffy Clyro/Enter Shikari/Blood Red Shoes - Highline Ballroom
Brake Brakes Brakes/Pela/Electric Soft Parade - Mercury Lounge
The Bravery - Bowery Ballroom
British Sea Power - Bowery Ballroom
The Chemical Brothers/Ladytron - McCarren Pool
Cold War Kids - The Social
Elliott Yamin/Josh Hoge - Bowery Ballroom
Eric Hutchinson - The Cutting Room
The Features - Mercury Lounge
Franz Ferdinand - Bowery Ballroom
The Fratellis - Irving Plaza
Gruff Rhys - Hiro Ballroom
Kaiser Chiefs/The Walkmen - Roseland
Klaxons - Bowery Ballroom
The Kooks - Irving Plaza
Los Campesinos! - Mercury Lounge
Maximo Park/!!!/Hot Club De Paris - London Astoria
Muse/Cold War Kids - MSG
The Pipettes - Blender Theater
Rooney/The Hush Sound - Irving Plaza
Stevie Wonder - MSG

I'd have to say my live favorites were:
#1 Air Traffic @ Canal
#2 Franz @ Bowery
#3 Muse @ MSG
#4 Features @ Mercury
#5 Fratellis @ Irving

As for albums, I did not buy/download many this year. Air Traffic's debut absolutely takes number one, I played it on repeat all summer and fall and I'm still obsessed with it. My tops of the year are:
#1 - Air Traffic - Fractured Life
#2 - The Pipettes - We Are the Pipettes
#3 - Hard-Fi - Once Upon a Time in the West
#4 - Kaiser Chiefs - Yours Truly, Angry Mob
#5 - The Fratellis - Costello Music
Honorable mention to Oasis - Stop the Clocks (had to be done)
Also, everything by Flight of the Conchords is tops!
Biggest disappointment: Ash - Twilight of the Innocents (guys, what happened?!)

*Edit - I forgot to add Klaxons - Myths of the Near Future in my top albums, so I hereby squish that one in as #2.
*Edit #2 - I forgot Chemical Bros. and Mr. Gruff Rhys, so they're up above now too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, no, no. You're soooooo wrong. 'Twilight Of The Innocents' was an excellent album.

Meredith said...

It kind of made me want to bash my head into the wall. Maybe I should give it another try?

I'm not a fan of 'In Rainbows' either which I was scared to mention before, but hey, what the hell, I don't like it!

Anonymous said...

I went to 3 of those concerts with you! YAY!!! Let's go to more.

Meredith said...

Yes, let's do!

I totally forgot to put the Klaxons album on there, I'm going to make an edit.