Monday, May 14, 2007

Don't Call Me (Baby)

About 5 and a half years ago when I was temping while I was looking for a job out of college, I temped for an agency who got me a short term (3 day) assignment working for a music company (I was trying frantically to work in anything involving music at the time.)

It turned out to be a job doing database entry at Press Play, which was owned by Universal, and worked just like Napster, but it was the first subscription version of an MP3 service. I had unlimited piles of CDs and had to enter into the system every single bit of information on the CD booklet - song titles, authors of each song, publishers, basically all of the small-print copyright information. It was tedious, gave me headaches, and made me just want to plain kill myself.

I worked for the three days and on that last day, the VP of the agency asked me to continue the job into the next week. I said that I was not interested in working that temp job any longer but thanked her (which is of course what happens when you temp - it's your choice of what you do, there may be pressure but it's ultimately up to you.) Well, this woman SCREAMED at me on the phone - the most unprofessional employer I have ever worked for in my entire life. She went on and on about how I should be so thankful for this job and how she is going to look bad and how I'd better take it, all the while yelling at me at the top of her lungs.

Obviously I didn't work for her again.

Then, about two months later, she had the nerve to call me about another temp job! I couldn't believe she actually had the balls to call me, I couldn't be bothered to stoop to her level and remind her previous tirade so I told her I had accepted a permanent job and that was the end of that.

I just now received a phone call from someone from the same agency asking me to come in and meet with them. Now I have a few choices:
-Call back the girl (not the nasty one) and agree to meet with her.
-Call back the girl and tell her about how I had a bad experience with one of her co-workers in the past and see what she says from there.
-Don't call back the girl (I've got some temp agencies I work with at the moment and I did make a vow not to do business with them again.)

I know this woman has no idea of what happened before, I'm sure they dump all their past records after a year or two anyway so there's probably nothing even stating I've ever worked for them but I'm just feeling icky at the thought of the company overall.

4 comments:

Big Daddy said...

I'd do this one:

'-Call back the girl and tell her about how I had a bad experience with one of her co-workers in the past and see what she says from there.'

Anonymous said...

They keep records. That's their bread and butter. I doubt the screaming fit that you were subjected to was recorded, but the name of the woman who was handling you is certainly preserved for eternity in 1's and 0's. Call up. Tell them about the poor professionalism demonstrated in the past. Should be interesting.

Meredith said...

I did what both of you guys said. She sounded a bit embarassed on the phone for her company, then she said she was new and that that person (bitchy woman) doesn't work there anymore.

I now figure I'll meet with her but I've got a temp job for the next 3 weeks so it won't happen anytime soon.

Also re: the records. I figured they kept records of who temped for them and probably what jobs they did, but I'm guessing they must have now gotten my resume from a job website because they'd purge the resumes of former employees from years back. I didn't explain myself properly on that one before.

Big Daddy said...

That would have sucked if she still did work there.