Sunday, March 04, 2007

Commuting is a Bitch

I am seriously excited because...I AM ABOUT TO GO TO THE DINER!!! I haven't been at all and I've been home for almost a week. And it's the daytime so it's okay!!!

Last night's dream was borderline ridiculous. You all know how much I love Prison Break right? Well, I dreamt that I was Sarah Tancready's replacement and I was running from Mahone with Michael and Linc. Seriously running all over to hide from him, and he was close to us so many times, it was really scary! I even dreamt that I couldn't blog or go on MySpace or anything because the authorities were going to trace the url and find me. I did mention the show right before bed so I'm hoping that's the reason for the dream.

My first weekend out in the city was alright. On Friday night I went to Jon's birthday at Bamboo 52. That was fun cause I got to talk to Jon and Haley (good transition being with London friends in NY), and the hors d'eovres were yummy. I headed over to Calico's (I really felt like it was my life circa 2001 - just got home from college, living with my parents, commuting to the city, and going to Calico Jack's.) It was Sherri's birthday so I saw her, Robyn & Russ, Vicki & Thom, Lauren & Eric, and Julie and her cousin Rachel. Heather, Erica, and Meghan also came. Nice reunions but not enough time to talk.

I was also wondering who the first person I'd recognize out in the world of NYC would be (inevitable) and it was randomly one of the brothers that we used to play beer pong against at Off the Wagon during Thursday night happy hour. He even remembered I was in London and everything. And he bought me a drink too which was really nice.

Last night I pre-drank a bit at Erica's with Heather, Meghan, Kristine, Liz, and Graham (he's visiting and that's a good transition for me too.) I had to buy Coors Light (I know it's crap and tastes like piss/water) but I had to simply because it's light beer. Anyways they've got these new cans that keep the beer cold even if you buy them off the shelf. So cool!!!

We went to The Social for a friend's friend's brother's birthday. Matt and Justin came too. I was pretty bored though because the bar stunk. The music was off for an hour too because the bar had blown a fuse. And not that this is relevant but the whole entire first floor (I don't have to say ground anymore) was full of hearing impaired people speaking sign language. I just thought I'd menton it because I'd never seen that before.

I bumped into Lauren which was funny because I saw her on Friday, with Debbie and Kristen and their boyfriends. Also Melanie's family friend Jonathan who I always see at her house for Xmas was there too. Erica was weirding him out though because she works for his mom and kept talking about her to him.

I forgot to mention what happened on the way to Erica's!! This woman was walking her dog and Heather and I had two bags of beer cans, and you couldn't really even tell what was in the bag, not that that matters anyway. Dialogue as follows:

Crazy Lady: Substances aren't allowed!!!
Me: Yes they are!
Crazy Lady: No they aren't!!! (really condescending nasty voice)
Me: You should curb your dog.
Crazy Lady: Fuck off, get out of New York!!
Me: I'm from New York, thanks!

Ahh, so good to be back home.

Typical my luck, going home the E train uptown wasn't stopping at 50th St. We had to wait 20 mins for the downtown one and then another ten for the uptown one at 42nd. I also saw a humongous rat near me on the platform (rarely ever happens to me on the actual platform!)

Thus far I've (re-)realized that NYC nightlife is not all it's cracked up to be or at least what I remember it to be. Maybe it's because I don't live in the city anymore and it's an overall pain in the ass to commute. I adore my friends but I'm not sure if the bar atmosphere is doing it for me at the moment. Obviously I'll keep trying, but I'll definitely drive next time.

No comments: