Thursday, March 01, 2007

I'm Having Trouble Just Finding Some Soul in this Town

Just to let all three of you who read this blog know that I am not giving it up now that I am in NY! I started this thing as a way to update my home friends on my life in London, but why stop now? It's simply reversed as I'm too lazy to e-mail all the Londoners. Although I will not change the url from idleinlondon to idleinny, the title of the blog is still "The Importance of Being Idle", and as long as everyone knows that I will continue to be lazy then I think that is all that matters.

I've been home for five days now and I'm somewhat adjusted. The day I flew back was definitely a low point. From transporting all of my luggage to Heathrow, to facing the longest security queue of my life, to saying goodbye to Dave, to the two hour delay taking off, I was pretty miserable. I was delighted to see my parents who greeted me at JFK, although it immediately started snowing which just didn't seem as romantic as it did in London.

I haven't done much since I've been back. I've been working everyday arranging things in my old room. It's filled with bags and boxes of everything from my NYC apartment. I've not gotten through half of that stuff yet, and I haven't touched anything from London. I refuse to start looking for a job until next week, just giving myself time to adjust and relax. I haven't even spoken to most of my friends yet. Socially, all I've done so far is go to dinner with Erica and Heather and to Vicki and Thom's apt/flat for dinner, which was the only time I went to the city. Tomorrow night Jon's family is throwing him a 25th birthday party and afterwards I'm going out to celebrate Sherri's birthday so I'll see most of my Binghamton friends there.

The most shocking thing for me so far was actually my trip to the supermarket. I was so amazed at the amount and variety of foods that Pathmark held, you'd think I'd been in prison for the last year and a half. It was so overwhelming but oh how I love food shopping here!

Good things about being home are my dad's home cooking, not paying for rent or food, and seeing my friends and family again. Oh yeah, and the Long Island Railroad upgraded their schedule boards to electronic and even gave the Port Washington branch the new trains! I have enjoyed driving once again as well. I already had to refer to the subway map because I forgot some of it and I keep forgetting which direction to look when I cross the street though.

Overall it still feels pretty weird and I haven't had a proper breakdown yet (although I did have a minor one when I realized how much in debt I'm now in with my student loans.) I fear that Saturday night will be my moment for crying in the bar. I'll be sure to let you know what happens!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

save some random cry moments for me!

Meredith said...

I didn't cry last night! It was too boring to even do that.

Big Daddy said...

I was that way, too, about the supermarket, when I returned to Denver from NYC.

I was used to the tiny bodegas and Korean grocers [they didn't have Trader Joe's or Whole Foods at that time].

Meredith said...

I forgot about Trader Joe's, yeah!!

I saw a special about Whole Foods the other day. This woman found worms wriggling around in her piece of cod. A shame I tell you.

Also for Londoners, they're putting a Whole Foods on High Street Kensington. It's great! (but don't get the fish.)