Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Deception At Its Worst (A Play in Three Parts)

I saw Noel Gallagher last night! I saw Noel Gallagher last night! OMG!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!

The anticipation for my story is probably killing you all, but unfortunately it was not as exciting as it sounds. Basically, I headed for the toilets after the Shack gig ended at King's College Student Union and I saw him standing at the back near the bar. There were a couple of people around him, and he was in quite a happy mood but as I passed I figured he would soon be moving himself through the venue towards either the band or the exit. Thinking that with my luck I would probably get shunned I just kept moving. I was right near him though, closer than I've ever been before so I was very thrilled anyway. I have to say, he's shockingly really good looking up close, and I'd expected him to look older than he did.

Shack were good, actually better than last time. I was a bit shocked and confused though when I saw them come onstage and the bass player was not the bass player who I'd met at The Social. I didn't understand how this had happened.




Deception At Its Worst
(A Play in Three Parts)

CAST
Shack - A band from Liverpool
Shack Roadies - Wannabe rock stars who assist the band with tour equipment
Meredith - 26 year old International Relations Student bumming around London
Brother (name has been removed for Googling reasons) - Aforementioned's brother visiting London
The Drella's - Opening act for second Shack gig
Jim Noir - Opening act for second Shack gig
Dave - Meredith's significant other in attendance at second Shack gig
Noel Gallagher - Mastermind of rock band Oasis
Annoying girl - Extra who dances in Meredith's way who she wants to punch in the face
Shack Gig-Goers
The Social Bar Patrons

Act 1
Setting: Post-secret Shack gig at The Social, April 2006
The Scene: Refer to script written on Saturday, April 08, 2006

Act 2
Setting: Shack gig at King's College Student Union, May 15, 2006
The Scene: Opening act The Drella's play. The band are listenable but not great.

Jim "I want to be in the key of C" Noir perform as well and thankfully are talented, stimulative, and melodically refreshing.

Shack enter from stage left. Bass player from Act 1 is mysteriously absent; a different bass player is in attendance (as well as a brass section that are fun but are irrelevant to the play at the current time.)

Meredith seems confused (not just by the different bass player, but also by the massive excitement factor of the crowd and constant song requests shouted out by the audience.)

The band plays, exits, returns for one encore, the gig ends.

Noel Gallagher is spotted followed by Meredith hyperactivity overload. Dave quite possibly thinks she is weird.

Intermission

Act 3
Setting: The day after the gig Meredith is still confused about events from the night before as she sits at her computer in her bedroom
The Scene: The heroine is left pondering post-gig how the so-called bass player from Act 1 could have deceived her in such a way (how could her excitement of the past two months based on this one meeting have come to such a crushing end?) The pieces just didn't fit. The "bass player" had introduced himself as such in front of the actual band. The "bass player" had introduced Meredith and Brother to the lead singer. The "bass player" had talked about bass guitars with Brother as well as his full experience with the band - including joining them and playing with them.

The protagonist figures there has to be an explanation for who this mysterious bass player was. She paces her room scratching her head in thought. (Could he be a replacement bass player? Could he be a guitar tech who made up lies to impress his fellow bar patrons? Could he be a drunk who had wormed his way into the Shack table via mysterious blackmail?) She knew there was only one way to solve the case.

This was naturally on MySpace.

The femme fatale (that's me bitches) heads over to Shack's MySpace page. After confirming the bass player is officially a one Pete Wilkinson who had performed the night before, she then searches the "Comments" section. It's there. In plain black writing. The imitation bass player from The Social . . . and what is he named? None other than Tufnell, as in Tufnell Park where he had told Meredith and Brother he lived!

Meredith reads the comment aloud in disbelief: "Legends. Can I just say that Butterfly is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. Absolute genius. Cracking show tonight at King's College. Those stairs were shite though!"

Meredith's jaw drops - Shack's #1 groupie??

The star of the show has been duped (she displays her feelings of hurt at this betrayal by pouting for approximately 10 seconds.) She then resumes skipping around the flat at having had spotted Noel Gallagher the night before. (Spotlight dims, curtains close.)

(Cast bows.)

The End

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you're into music, check out this American band- The Myriad. They are pretty new, and although signed to an indie label, relatively unknown (although anyone who hears/sees them live falls in love with them).
www.myspace.com/themyriad
www.themyriad.net

Anonymous said...

I'll see your Noel Gallagher sighting and raise to a Flavor Flav sighting.

There I was standing outside BB Kings fire exit for the Public Enemy, waiting for my friend to arrive with the tickets, when the man himself with a crew of big guys splurged out onto 42nd st having some sort of minor tiff right next to me.

A crowd gathered in a semi-circle around Flavor, his crew and groupie white boy me to shout FLAVOR FLAAAV and YEEEEAAH BOOOOI.

I wish I'd have moved now.

Meredith said...

That's funny! Was he wearing the clock around his neck?

Anonymous said...

Sadly no!

But he looks just as scary in real life than he does on TV.

And he's tiny.

Anonymous said...

Excellent, a review in 3 Acts. Love it.

Must be something about Noel, a friend of mine used to pass him on way to work quite a bit, and developed the serious hots for him. Actually in her mind they are actually going out

Meredith said...

Thanks! And I know how your friend feels, that's how I was about Luke who used to be in The Stands. I now realize that meeting him/stalking him doesn't equal us being boyfriend/girlfriend.