Monday, February 13, 2006

I Got Seoul But I'm Not A Seouldier

There's nothing like having an extremely painful headache and feeling like you have to throw up, only to arrive home to a blackout. Puking by candlelight, that could have potentially been a lovely sight. I guess it's good that at least I had candles this time.

I felt so awful (like one of those headaches where it hurts to keep your eyes open - or closed for that matter), that I decided to hop into bed at 8:15 pm. As could have been predicted, an hour has passed and I'm obviously not sleeping. Thankfully the headache went away though.

So today I had an interesting conversation in class with Tomo, the South Korean guy who I'm doing a project with. He is weeks ahead in having our presentation finished, which are guidelines I'm definitely not used to. He explained to me that the work ethic is very different in South Korea which is why he's so quick to do his work here. Some examples of his lifestyle at home include:

  • Working Monday-Saturday from 8:00 am - 10:00 pm.
  • His company sending a bus to pick up all of it's workers at 6:00 am (it's an hour and a half ride to the office.)
  • If he doesn't finish a project within 48 hours he's in deep shit.
  • They don't really do many social activities; everything mostly revolves around work.
  • His company provides each employee with an apartment after working for them for two years. Within his contract, if he stays with the company for 15 years, he then owns the flat after that time. If he breaks the contract and leaves the company before the 15 years, he owes them back pay for all of the rent.
  • His company would do the same with a car, but since transportation is so efficient there, he doesn't want one.
  • One hour of overtime is equivalent to earning US$250.
  • Also, this isn't company related but instead of using a Metrocard or Oyster Card to enter the subway, there is a chip within the phone that acts like a mini debit card, so you can use your phone to get into the subway!!!

My weekend in Bournemouth was short but fun. After a few minor delays prior to taking off, including a missing debit card and and a Six Nations Rugby match, Laura, Mairead and I made it to Laura's house at about 6:00 pm. After dinner, we went to Bliss which was packed. When some dude asked me if I had a boyfriend, I lied and said that I did because I wasn't interested in him. I ended up kissing his friend instead, whoops. Oh yeah, and he was 21, so double whoops. Then we headed to Toko which was, like Bliss, £££, but fun as well. I particularly enjoyed the random indie blob of three in between all the cheese. We were screaming the words to 'Somebody Told Me', 'I Predict a Riot' and 'I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor' which seemed to puzzle the sluts and the chavs a bit. On Sunday we went to town to walk around and I got a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup milkshake at ShakeAway. It was good but I think the Kit Kat one is better. Mairead and I bused it back to London and she got the driver to let us off in front of her flat in Kilburn instead of us having to go all the way to Victoria which was so lucky. On a related note, I just have to say that it didn't rain in London for six weeks, and the one day I go to the sea the skies decide to open (typical.) Which also reminds me that I am missing the snow a bit in New York right now.

As Aaron Karo would say, here are some things I've been ruminating about lately:

  • Did you hear about how Dick Cheney accidentally shot someone while hunting quail? What a moron!
  • I had two cute guys ask me if they could come over to my flat tonight, and all it took was for me to mention the word "blackout" in a text. Why did I not think of that before?
  • Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and once again I am dateless. I'm not feeling as crappy as I normally would though, maybe because I've never been Valentineless in London before?
  • I do have a date on Thursday with a guy I've been wanting to jump since November. I am so effking excited!

Current Music: Better Than Ezra - Hollow

4 comments:

Awreye said...

Those examples (except for the US$250 per hour overtime thing) are why I never want to work in South Korea .

Perhaps the lack of crappiness about a dateless V Day (or as my co-worker calls it, "the worst day of the year") is due to your hot Thursday date, hmmmm?

WelshSoxFan said...

Can we all stop pretending that The Killers are an indie band.

Meredith said...

I just needed a quick label. I couldn't say Brit-Rock since the Killers are American. I couldn't say overrated because I don't think the Kaisers fit that category. To go off on a tangent, I would like to state that although I did sing 'Somebody Told Me', it was because I had to represent the only quasi-rock music they played in the bar. I'm still on my Killers backlash since the last time I saw them in the summer and since Brandon Flowers turned into a complete twat by starting catty fights with several musicians he's obviously jealous of. Either that or he just wants the publicity. PS - I know I also used 'All These Things That I've Done' in the subject of this post but it fit so well that I couldn't resist. Double PS - I know that someone is going to retaliate with a 'how do you justify Liam Gallagher then?' question. Answer is that I truly belive Oasis have the talent to go around slagging off other bands if they want.

WelshSoxFan said...

Fair point. I was actually just commenting on the killers, the other bands are fine. I guess if I'd been listening to the kind of shit that we have to deal with in most bars and clubs I'd be delighted by The Killers too. Kind of like a guy who's been in prison for 20 years getting excited when he comes out and sees a fat girl!

And for my money if you're looking for a category, the killers are a pop band with guitars and an astounding self-belief that they are way better than they actually are.

Good job on watching rugby by the way - we're proud of you :-)