Thursday, December 22, 2005

Best of the Fests

Another useless few days in regards to schoolwork have passed. I met Maristela for lunch yesterday, then did some work on of one of my papers, watched Lost, followed by Fahrenheit 9/11 which I vowed never to do. After watching it, I still think Michael Moore is an ass. Today I went to Solo's, played with him and Dandan, met up with Liz to do some Xmas shopping (yes, I finally bought the Pumas I was looking for, happy holidays to me!), got back here, yelled at the Freeview box for interrupting One Tree Hill at the best part of the episode and am now putting off finishing that paper.

My New Sneakers!

I would also like to give a quick mention to the Johnny Damon trade. I don't watch much baseball, but this actually annoys me!

So, I'm now finished with all of my gigs for 2005. This looks like a Ben-blog ripoff, but I'm gonna list my 2005 festivals, and maybe do the individual shows in my next entry.

Coachella
Day 1 - Saturday
(aka 'let me wear myself out to the point of dead' day)
The Sexy Magazines (Mojave Tent) - Had to see them as the singer is Vicki's family friend. Umm, interesting was a good way to put it.
Gratitude (Mojave Tent) - Had to see them too as Liz loves this band. I've never heard a singer say 'thank you, we're sooooo grateful' that many times. I could make fun of him much more for various other things but I don't have time.
Radio 4 (Mojave Tent) - Finally, a good start to the day!
Jamie Cullum (Outdoor Stage) - Caught the last few songs. I don't care what people say, I like him.
Ambulance Ltd. (Mojave Tent) - Managed to catch only some as well.
M83 (Gobi Tent) - Ditto. Wish I'd seen more.
Snow Patrol (Main Stage) - Average this time. Shocker.
Keane (Main Stage) - Again, you basically get what you expect from them which is fine.
Stereophonics (Mojave Tent) - And it's a race to the tent (literally) to catch them. Excellentness! Best band of the day.
Weezer (Main Stage) - Unfortunately very textbook. And no 'El Scorcho'! Bastards.
Secret Machines (Mojave Tent) - Caught the tail end. They aren't my thing, but the light effects and the stage set up was really cool.
Bloc Party (Mojave Tent) - I was crushed but it was amazing.
Coldplay (Main Stage) - I was delirious by this point but it was good.

Day 2- Sunday
Sloan (Mojave Tent) - Sitting down in the tent with Sloan was a very nice way to start the day.
Kasabian (Mojave Tent) - A-a-A-a-A-a. Finally, the first real festival moment during 'Club Foot'.
The Bravery (Mojave Tent) - Many sound problems. It was their first ever festival appearance. I've seen them do better but it was decent.
Arcade Fire (Outdoor Stage) - And now comes the point where I get pelted...They were okay (sorry, I just don't see it!)
New Order (Main Stage) - I've seen New Order! Giant checkmark! (I saw them again later in NY, but this was quite an achievement.) 'Crystal' and 'Regret' back to back? OH.MY.GOD.
British Sea Power (Outdoor Stage) - Spot right in the front, beautiful California scenery in the back, best band of the day. This festival revolved around Open Season for me.
Roni Size (Sahara Tent) - Whoa. I don't usually listen to this type of music but it was the most fun I had the whole weekend. Aside from...
The Prodigy (Sahara Tent) - I sweated out a good 13 lbs. from this set. They certainly smacked my bitch up!!

Siren Festival (I was a bit more concerned with eating Nathans and achieving death by Cyclone than watching bands.)
Nine Black Alps (Stillwell Stage) - Some good stuff but I'm not so into them.
The Dears (Main Stage) - Two or three really good songs, I was concentrating mostly on why the two chicks looked so pissed off for the entire set.
Brendan Benson (Main Stage) - Brendan, why did you play so many old songs? Shouldn't you have been promoting the new album? I still like him though, especially because he had The Stands support him on his tour (...and I had to sell my ticket because no one would go with me to that show, thanks again everyone!!!)

V Festival

Day 1- Saturday
The Stands (Main Stage) - Oh wait, I didn't actually see them because the people who handle the queues at the festival were COMPLETE MORONS.
Goldie Lookin' Chain (Main Stage) - It's the GLC. They are funny. Enough said.
The La's (Main Stage) - Better than I expected.
Jet (Main Stage) - Eh. I still haven't listened to that cd in full.
The Bravery (Channel 4 Stage) - Whoa, sorry boys but this one was bad.
Kaiser Chiefs (Channel 4 Stage) - Oh wait, I actually elected to skip this performance as I had seen them what felt like 238 times already this year. I even allowed myself to be subjected to the wrath of those I was with for attempting to see the unspeakable instead. I missed them too though because the stage times were off.
The Streets (Main Stage) - My first time, and I'd been looking forward to this forever. Too bad Mike Skinner lost his voice. And I can't say I wasn't warned before that they aren't so great live.
Oasis (Main Stage) - Hey Lyla! It was greatness. What a triumphant recovery from Glastonbury last year.

Day 2 - Sunday
Rooster (Main Stage) - I had no idea who these guys were. They covered 'No Diggity' though which was okay.
Idlewild (Main Stage) - I've got some of their stuff but I always forget that I have it. They were pretty good and nice to chill on the lawn to (I know they aren't really a 'chilling' band, but it was the early afternoon.)
I Am Kloot (Channel 4 Stage) - Twas average.
Thirteen Senses (Channel 4 Stage) - My favorite songs were lovely. They sound exactly like their record live, but with their music I think that's a good thing.
Athlete (Main Stage) - The emotion pouring out of the band and crowd during 'Wires' was amazing. This was a great V Festival moment for me.
Embrace (Main Stage) - Singalongs are fun. Jumping to 'New Adam New Eve' is fun. Listening to Danny McNamara's sob story about almost having to go on the dole is not fun - that was like the third time I'd heard it this year. My favorite quotes of the festival were during this set - Me yelling during silence in between songs to Danny: "I like your belt!!!" & Liz screaming in response: "I like your brother!!!"
Franz Ferdinand (Main Stage) - I had just done the video thing, so of course hearing 'Do You Want To' was exciting. They completed the day's trifecta of greatness.
The Hives (Channel 4 Stage) - I got to see them sing 'Hate To Told You So' pre-Prodigy. I love that song.
The Prodigy (Channel 4 Stage) - Not as fun as at Coachella. This field was packed and I couldn't see shit. I kissed some random guy though, that part was okay.

I also got to dance to Bez DJing in the Strongbow Tent which was really fun. Mr. Scruff's tent was not fun.

XFM Winter Wonderland (brief comments here)
The Dead 60s
Magnet
Editors
Maximo Park
Hard-Fi
Chas & Dave
Kaiser Chiefs

Current Music: Mr. Big - To Be With You

No comments: