Sunday, October 02, 2005

Holy Satan's Underpants

I just came back from the UK Air Guitar Championships. No, I'm not kidding.

The night started off with an opening performance from the Skintight Jaguars. It was typical heavy metal with an added plus of the singer sticking his hand down his pants and touching himself. I was not impressed.

Next up were the "Championships." The first band up were the only indie act, The Miserables, performing I Predict A Riot. That was fun for me but obviously everyone else hated it and they were taking the piss out of themselves anyway. They got sent into the cage (where the bad air guitarists had to go) and next up came "Crispy" who air guitared to Muse. I couldn't believe there were two good songs in a row but that was the end of that. There was a gladiator (literally), a farmer (last year's champion), two crazy kids who stripped and a few others that don't deserve a mention. The group who put the most effort into their performance was Satan's Underpants. They distributed a newsletter about themselves prior to their performance, had a fan base in the audience waving Satan's Underpants flags, and they had hardcore props. They entered by tearing through a huge banner and performed Fight For Your Right (To Party.) Their entourage threw huge bouncy balls into the audience and shot off confetti guns. It was a great display and they had a full air band including a drummer. I had to root for them (mainly considering I was wearing a "Come On Our Pants! Satan's Underpants!" sticker), but Crispy won which was well deserved. I will not be attending in 2006 but it was a worthwhile one-time experience.

I forgot to mention that I went to my favorite indie night in London again at The Roxy on Thursday. They played Ladykillers by Lush and I almost had a heart attack. Nobody here even knows that song; too bad because I would so kill that at karaoke. They also played Pain Killer by Turin Brakes so I actually died twice.

Current Music: Jimmy Eat World - Firestarter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you know / like Ladykillers. I used to LOVE that song! It enver ceases to amaze me how much random indie stuff you know!!