Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Just Enough For the City

Sorry for the lack of postage, I had a busy week. Dave came last Friday so I was happily preoccupied. First order of business was beer pong at Pat O'Brien's. He'd never played before so the Upper East Side bar crawl (still hate bar crawls but it suited the purpose) served as a good host for the event. Not sure what he thought of it but it's always good for keeping oneself occupied in a bar (see more on keeping busy in the bar down below when I discuss Plan B.)

That night we saw Stevie Wonder at MSG. I thought I wasn't going to know too many songs, but he's just one of those legends where you keep on recognizing songs you knew he sung but forgot about. His voice has not changed one bit, he was so talented, it was a really fantastic two and a half hour show. The crowd were terrific too, mostly middle aged and going nuts for him. They were cheering like crazy, standing for at least half the set, singing along; it was really nice to be surrounded by an active, excited NYC audience for a change.

Unfortunately, instead of my pictures being THE shit, they were just plain shit.Stevie on the screen (very witty by the way, including doing a country version of 'Signed, Sealed, Delivered' after the regular one)

He split the audience into women and men singing harmonies on "Ribbon in the Sky." Dave and I couldn't stop singing it all week but we replaced "Ribbon" with every street sign we saw which probably does not sound funny unless you are participating.

'My Cherie Amour'

Tony Bennett came out as a surprise guest and sang his original version of "For Once in my Life," I didn't realize how amazing his voice was. Prince also came out and played guitar on "Superstition."

This was the setlist (according to a couple of websites because I couldn't remember):
Loves In Need of Love Today / Too High / Visions / Living for the City / Master Blaster / Higher Ground / Golden Lady / Ribbon In The Sky / Overjoyed / You and I / Lately / If Its Magic / How Will I Know / Don't You Worry Bout a Thing / Signed, Sealed, Delivered / My Cherie Amour / Boogie on Reggae Woman / For Once in My Life (feat. Tony Bennett) / Sir Duke / I Wish / You are The Sunshine of My Life (I kept wanting to sing Minute Maid from the commercial) / Superstition / As

No Part Time Lover, dang!

Dave and I were in the city for the majority of the week. We hit up FAO Schwartz and Toys R Us in Times Square. I did not know about this giant moving dinosaur on the second floor (did you?)I also saw The Met (not to be confused with Mr. Met) for the first time ever. We randomly stumbled upon a cast of my favorite sculpture, I was Psyched! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Cupid and Psyche

We drank lots and lots and lots on Wednesday. After failing to watch England lose to Croatia (Nevada Smith's - you have some nerve charging $20/head) and watching Italy vs. Faroe Islands instead (hahahaha, uh, Faroe Islands are a country? Seriously?) we stayed around the Lower East Side for most of the night.
I love happy hour, la la la la la

Thursday was Turkey Day and due to a hangover, we did not attend the parade as planned (we also did not go ice skating in Central Park either because of the Zamboni schedule.) On Friday we ate on Bell with Gail and Mike and in the evening we had some nasty beers at The Ginger Man with Julie and her ginger man. They should do sampler platters there so you know what you are getting yourself into. Dave and I had a late late dinner at Duke's and made a mad dash for the last express bus in the freezing cold.

He left on Saturday (weep) but rather than moping around the house I decided to go to Plan B with my lovely ladies. I generally like that bar even though it can be hit or miss but this was one of the better times (even though I drove.) Some dude who was a friend of a friend motivated us to play guess/imitate that dance move in the middle of the bar which was really fun!! I need to do things like that more often.

Heather got a birthday hat from someone, I think this is her being a chicken?

Classic NYC art

Tin man hat taken from the rubbish pile (nice one!)

On someone's bicycle

No comments: