Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Headacheville

On Friday night I raced home to watch the Daytime Emmy awards. I am sad to report that despite being nominated for 17 Emmys, Guiding Light only won two. Although they won for writing and best soap (never happens for GL), not a single actor won.

JonathonROBBED!!!

Liz and I drove into the city on Saturday afternoon. After we parked, we got stuck in the car for a while because of the sudden downpour (neither of us noticed the spare umbrella in the passenger's seat.) We decided to brave the rain and raced to Gatsby's to meet Alex, Nick (who was visiting), and their mates Anthony and Rory. We had a long wander round the LES until we decided on burgers cooked various ways (just to confuse the waiter) at the Pink Pony.
Liz and I then met Ryan at Mercury Lounge to see Electric Soft Parade. I liked their set (it was short) and still can't believe that was their first show in NYC (they've been around for a few years.) The singer was pretty talkative too which I quite enjoyed.

Welcome to the Black Electric Soft Parade
I went primarily for ESP but wanted to see Brakes (or BrakesBrakesBrakes?) because they are made up of ESP and the former British Sea power dude who always does crazy stuff. In order to see their set, I had to stick around for Pela first.
dfgsrgzsg
I'd never heard of this band but the place got packed for them. Turns out they are from NY so I guess that's why. They started playing and I thought the music (rock) was pretty good, but then the guy started singing and I could not understand anything. The fans were really into it which I simply don't get - I couldn't comprehend one word throughout the whole show!! (Kind of like Enter Shikari but just plain incomprehensible rather than screaming.) The singer looked like the singer of O.A.R. but more like a frat guy which visually didn't match the music for me so I just stood there confused for a while. The fans were the worst though - die hard frat-types who at the end screamed for them to play more songs, and the band came back and did! I thought that wasn't allowed when another band is scheduled to play afterwards?! I can see how people may like them, but for me that was the longest hour of my life.
Separated at Birth?

Singer of O.A.R. / Singer of Pela

I didn't want to leave during Pela because I figured I'd already stayed for part of it, what would be the point of leaving then? Brakesx3 came on and the first song was the ex-BSP dude going "Hi, how are you" in a robot voice. Weird!!!! they played some song about Margarita which didn't do it for me along with the other stuff I just didn't get. When they played some song that was him yelling "szz szz szz szz pick up the fucking phone!" I knew it was time for me to leave. I'm going to blame me completely forgetting to call my brother to give him a ride home on my confusion of the music that night.

No comments: