Thursday, June 21, 2007

Distinctive Mint Flavor for Unique People

People in this city just keep getting weirder and weirder.

Lady gets on the subway at 75th avenue today. She was dressed like an 18 year old - hair dyed red (but it was really orange), platform shoes, black leggings, and tight leopard shirt with a waisted belt - but she was definitely about 60 years old.

Side Note for Story Lead-In
NYC Subway etiquette goes as follows: If there are no seats and you want one, you strategically attach yourself to whatever pole you choose, hence staking your territory (F train is easier than the E because the seats are aligned perpendicular to each other.) Generally you get whatever seat opens up in your territory, basically because you've been standing there waiting for it (that's unless there are multiple people in the territory because of it being crowded, and you have to fight for it in that case.)

So anyways, I was at my pole and the trying-to-be-young lady was at hers (NOT close to mine.) A woman in my territory barely has moved from her seat and old-young lady starts running over. I still managed to sit my ass down first and that was the end of the seat battle(although I felt bad because she ran for it, but hey, I had been on the train longer than her and she wasn't pregnant so why should I?)

Turns out a seat opened up next to me anyway and of course she took it. That whole seat fight struggle is not the point of my story though.

The point is that this woman must have had 10 pieces of gum in a 20 minute period! It was disgusting and just angered me. She had a pack of Doublemint Gum in one hand and the wrappers in the other. She would chew a piece of gum and three minutes later add a second piece (does this mean her gum was Quadruplemint? hahaha.) Three minutes after that she would spit the wad into the wrapper (left hand) and already have the next piece in the right hand ready to shove into her mouth so there was no more than a 3 second delay between gum chewing. And she kept repeating the process. Over. And over. And over! And she kept the wads in wrappers in her left hand rather than in her bag, it was gross! I thought she was gonna keel over when the pack ran out (luckily it was only about two minutes until her stop so I'm guessing she got another pack (or cigarettes perhaps) ASAP and is still alive. I don't know how she managed to read her book at all because it was pretty obvious she was only thinking about the gum. I'm all for fresh breath but eew.

4 comments:

Big Daddy said...

You sure it wasn't Patricia Fields?

Anonymous said...

that was really entertaining. i almost forgot about subway madness!

Meredith said...

She definitely looked like PF but an older version.

People ont he subway are sooo annoying (myself excluded.)

Anonymous said...

It's so funny to look how people behave sometimes and it seems almost unbelievable for us how they can act in such a way on the overcrowded streets.