Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Come Sail Away With Me

Another Fleet Week has come and gone in New York City. For those who may not know what it is (Brits/foreigners perhaps), it's the week when thousands of sailors descend upon our fair city primarily with the hopes of getting laid.

My friends and I only had to face the sailors once this week, but oh what a life-changing experience it was. The convo started out when a sailor tossed his hat across Down the Hatch and it landed on me (and I threw it right back at him - disrespectful? I just say uninterested.) If that doesn't sound like the beginnings of a truly romantic story, then I don't know what does.

Actually there isn't much to tell. Basically, all of these dudes were 18 (one was 17!!), most thought they were being slick (come on, we are 27!), others were extremely shy and didn't know what to say or do. When I asked the one who was hitting on Meghan where the boat was docked, he replied "Staten Island, unless I have somewhere else to stay tonight." Then he said it like seven more times. Blagh! They were so annoying and were on top of us for a long while. One guy was telling me about how they are usually stationed in the Gulf, he was the only normal one who didn't try anything. Maybe that's because he was the 17 year-old and it was his first Fleet Week. I have much respect for them in the patriotic sense obviously, but seriously guys, learn to control the hormones!

No comments: