Friday, April 13, 2007

The Way You Do It, Do It To Me

Last night was Kaiser Chiefs at Roseland. I didn't anticipate them filling it at all, and although I don't think it sold out, it did get packed.

The Walkmen opened and I was pleasantly surprised with both their performance and their music in general. I had expected them to sound like Interpol, I don't know why but I think I'd just heard that comparison somewhere, but luckily they didn't (sorry, Interpol can get irritating after a while, plus they are really rude minus the one who gave everyone herpes.) They actually sounded like Bob Dylan fronting The Arcade Fire. Normally I wouldn't be too into that either, but they were really good. I would definitely listen to them. Here are some shots:

If I can recall correctly, I believe the Kaiser Chiefs opened with 'Everyday I Love You Less and Less.' They did a bunch of the old stuff in a row, and then a bunch of the new stuff in a row. It all sounded good! I was seriously annoyed with the 7' guy standing in front of me practically the entire time though. We need slanted floors like in the UK, seriously. It's just such a pain (physically) to watch a gig with your neck straining. Anyways, Ricky jumped around a bit, crowd surfed, etc. etc. and all of the usual stuff. No 'You Can Have It All' which I expected them not to play (tear) but I hope they revive it at some point. Everything sounded good, my favorites were 'I Predict a Riot' (of course) and 'Ruby' which you can view a bit of here -


'Oh My God' is always a great closer. They sped it up a bit at the end which sounded fab. The opening encore song was 'Angry Mob' which is one of the best songs on the new album. Here's a clip of that as well:

By the way, the crowd was pretty into it which was a nice surprise. Most people were dancing, singing, and moshing (thanks for pushing me assholes). I was with Kim who loves them too which was good because I had someone to dance with and not feel stupid. I even saw Ryan clap his hands during 'The Modern Way' (don't even try to deny it.)

Also here are some photos (I was far away):
With my celebrity-detector eyes I scoured the balcony but didn't see anyone...until I noticed the very fit Keith Murray of We Are Scientists at the back of the balcony when I was leaving, wahoo! The dude who writes the NME blog was right, Sam from The Bravery completely stole Keith's look. When is there going to be new WAS material? I love them.

Current Music: Kaiser Chiefs - Angry Mob

2 comments:

Big Daddy said...

Sigh, they're not coming here.

Liberty London Girl said...

Hello! Thanks for reading my blog! I always presume that none actually reads it apart from my friends in London. The view from the balcony was wierd - a tight bunch moshing at the front, a little bobbing/airpunching/head nodding on the fringes of that, and then all these stock still New Yorkers. But, best of all, were these little pockets of obvious Brits( easy to spot - good looking & better dressed) going mental amongst the statues. Kind of like I was in fact!