Wednesday, March 08, 2006

All That Matters is the Music

I saw Delays at Shepherds Bush last night. I know I've said "they were sooo good" in like every gig post, but this was one of the best shows I've seen since I've been in London. And now for the review in brief:

Nightmare of You were the opening act. I have to say that they were pretty good (sorry Ryan.) The music was surprisingly much less emo than I'd expected, although the singer's voice kind of sounded like a cartoon character. Anway they hit the nail on the head with 'My Name Is Trouble' which worked for me since I am in deep love with that song.

As for Delays, Greg Gilbert's voice is amazing in that 'different' kind of way. If I had a voice like that I would sing all the time rather than speak to people. And the keyboardist shocked me, I didn't realize he had a voice like that too. They played a huge chunk of 'Faded Seaside Glamour' which made me happy, and they didn't even omit any of my favorite songs, which always tends to happen at shows. When I saw them open for Franz in 2004, I hadn't known their stuff and I loved them, they did that to me again with their new stuff, especially 'Hideaway' and one other song but I unfortunately don't remember the name of it. 'On' was really great too. Mr. Gilbert even made a 'Goodnight London London London' note sound amazing. Although I hate buying cds here because they're so expensive, I think I'm going to have to cave on this one.

In daily news, I felt like hardcore crap when I woke up today. On Monday night I had no sleep at all, partially due to the previous day's caffeine intake (which wasn't even that much), which in turn made me feel blah yesterday and even worse now. I think I was also anxious as I had to go to Earl's Court in the morning to finally get my pay from that horrible job I'd done about a month ago. I really thought they were going to screw me, but I actually got all the money I was owed (in cash too.) I'm waiting to see when this bites me in the ass after I register for a National Insurance Number. I am a student though, so technically I shouldn't have taxes taken out, I guess I'll see what happens. I also met with one of my professors to discuss an essay topic. For the second time he asked me in a roundabout way if my social life was more important than attending IR-related seminars. It's frustrating me that I'm getting shit about missing two optional things this week when I've never missed a class, and have attended almost all other afternoon seminars, as well as a few nightly ones. Do the people from my class who miss things all the time get the same speech?? Then today, the fact that I trekked to the library and searched for books, only to find out at the check-out desk that I'd already hit my book limit, and therefore wasn't allowed to take these books out (which I need for my presentation next week) did not make me feel better.

I just realized that I didn't write about last weekend. It was busy but not overly exciting. On Friday night I went with Laura, Heather, Dandan, et al to XFM's First Friday (we sailed right in with tickets this time.) It was fine except I almost died when 'Gay Bar' came on. Like, I literally got trampled 10x worse than during any Arctic Monkeys song. I didn't realize it had such an effect on people?

On Saturday night I went to Ben's (from my Latin America class) flat in Archway for a party in honor of a girl in my class who is seven months pregnant (which I didn't notice until 3 weeks ago!!) who is leaving to fly back to the States. It was meant to be a pot luck dinner (not sure everyone got the concept), but I made pasta with bolognese sauce. I also embarassed myself doing the dance game to 'Murder on the Dancefloor.' Thank god there were only about 10 people there. After that, I met up with everyone at Vibe Bar on Brick Lane for Dandan's birthday. I got there around 11:30 pm and the bar closed at 1:00 am, whoops.

On Sunday, Zoe and I went to Laura's to watch American Idol (of which I had correctly predicted all four booted out, thank you very much.) I checked out Zoe's new pad in West Hampstead as well, which is very nice indeed.

On Monday night I went to the Chinese buffet on Great Portland Street near school with John. Good beef but otherwise the Chinese food here still sucks!!!

Tonight I'm going out for happy hour drinks for Lucy's birthday. I'm meeting David there, the guy I'd met on Thursday night. We were supposed to meet up on Friday night since we were both going to Islington Academy, but I had bad phone service and we couldn't find each other. I guess a report on tonight will follow tomorrow.

Current Music: Orson - No Tomorrow (what's the deal, is this song popular in America?)

2 comments:

Awreye said...

1 - Am jealous of your Delays gig. When I first heard the Delays, I wrongly assumed that the singer was female. Was very surprised to find out the lead was male.
and
2 - I haven't heard any buzz about Orson here in the US. Nada. Well, at least not in NYC. Perhaps they're trying the "American band becomes wildly popular in UK before trying to hit it big back in US" thing.

Anonymous said...

"Gay Bar" makes even me want to dance.