Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Mystery of the Xawaalada

Just an FYI that the beginning of this post may seem naive or ignorant but I don't really care.

My neighborhood in London, Kentish Town, is inhabited by a nationality of people I have never seen before. They amaze me as they all have the same exact facial features - doe eyes, chocolate colored skin, skinny noses and lips, and most of the women wear Islamic head scarves. Their features are so distinct from anyone I've ever seen, and almost all of the individuals look alike - the men, women, teenagers and children all have similar faces. There are a few internet-type shops run by them that are titled "Xawaalada Dalson" which is a language that also mystifies me as I've never read anything like it. Some of the men hang out in random unfurnished, need-to-be-fixed-up shops on the main road, and they keep the door slightly open so whatever they are doing in there can't be illegal, I just can't figure out what it is they do. So anyway, my guess was that these were North African Muslims. I asked my ever-so-wise father what he thought and he had some quality guesses. Out of curiosity, I would like it if you guys could offer up what nationality you think these people may be in the comments section - WITHOUT Googling "Xawaalada." I've done it and my mystery is finally solved, but I'm curious to see what everyone thinks.

Now, a few random points:

- I've just met with my dissertation supervisor. He wants me to hand in a 3,000 word introduction by 2/21. That's like a whole paper. And that's like totally insane!

- I am going for a trial tomorrow for a job working as a bar bitch at Earls Court for an events company. I'm not sure if I should be excited about this or not, but at least its money.

- I have a date tonight. Yippee!

Current Music: Tears - Lovers

6 comments:

WelshSoxFan said...

I would guess Bangladesh

Anonymous said...

no way i wud guess somalian
mairead

Anonymous said...

Nigerian
Ben

Anonymous said...

I think you'll find that they are Ethiopian. Very distinctive features!

FINY said...

I'm not even going to guess, what I want to know is how the date went!!!!

Meredith said...

Ding ding ding, Mairead wins! Although there could be some Ethiopians too, you never know.

Will defo e-mail you re: date finy. PS - your boyfriend is really cute!