Sunday, October 23, 2005

Safe Haven

So last night I saw Haven at the Highbury Garage. All I really need to say is oh..my..god..so..good! This band, like Shack, was one I for some reason didn't think I would see live in this lifetime and am now so happy that I have.

Laura and I placed ourselves in prime positions in the front row with arms dangling over the barrier in anticipation (and in full-out natural groupie style of course) for the band to come on. We peeked at the set list and I was excited to see all of my favorite songs grouped together at the end of the set.

The band came on, began with "Til the End" and then continued with a few new songs and some random ones from their two albums. The singer has one of the more beautiful voices of the bands I like and it sounded just as perfect live as it does on the albums. Despite a bloody finger, he and the band played a great set that ended with a terrific version of "All For a Reason."

For the encore they did my other three favorite songs. They started with "Something Moved Me" which they followed with "Say Something." "Say Something" contains one of my favorite lyrics of all time - "Believe me now I'd only lie to you." It's so beautiful and a group of guys in the crowd were swaying and singing along with the band - you could see the band's faces light up at that which was really nice to see for a change. They ended with my all time Haven favorite, "Let It Live." Even though the singer elected not to hit the high note on the "Let it breathe" line, it was still stunning live.

The roadie was generous and decided to give some of us at the front the singer's unused picks. I was lucky enough to get one (the closest I've come to getting anything offstage was at Mardi Gras '04 when the singer of Better Than Ezra threw his beads into the crowd, one set landed on the floor and Meghan picked them up and gave them to me.) Laura did even better than me though - the roadie gave her the singer's used pick from off the floor which was covered in blood from his cut. It was excitingly disgusting!

After that, Laura and I descended upon the meat market that is Tiger, Tiger...except that instead of Filet Mignon, it seemed that all I was finding was Spam. I do have to give a shout out to my Irish soulmate who I met in the upstairs of the bar. Declared by his friends to be "the funniest of their group," I had him telling me I was funnier than him by the end of the night. I think we were actually twins separated at birth despite the fact that we look nothing alike.

Off to the Brondes now...

Current Music: Bruce Springsteen - The Rising

No comments: