Thursday, December 16, 2010

Things I Disliked - 2010 Edition

Let's kick this off properly:

Nicki Minaj
Simply awful. How can anyone listen to her "music" and say it's good with a straight face, let alone get by without their ears bleeding? Someone had to say it and now everyone else can feel free to follow (you can thank me later.)

30 Rock
I still don't think this show is funny AT ALL. Am I missing something, or is it just childish humor that somehow goes over my head? Not funny, and quite bad actually (sorry Emmys Foundation but you're wrong.)

The Red Hot Chili Peppers
It's not really their fault, it's more so 101.9's issue, but I can't hate the station solely because of Matt Pinfield. If you haven't been exposed to WXRP between 8:00 - 9:00 am on weekdays, I'll have you know that hearing a Chili Peppers song is 110% inevitable, and it's been like this every day for at least the past year. It started off as the principal that pissed me off, but now I've convinced myself to actually hate them. They do this with other bands too (ahem Foo Fighters, no thank you), and they recently began repeating The Black Crowes, and I certainly hope they stop because I don't want to dislike them. I know I could change the station, but it's not really an option when the alternative is Z100 playing Justin Bieber and talking about The Human Caterpillar.

Exhausted Phrases
Fail/Epic Fail/For the Win/WIN! These stupid phrases were funny for a nanosecond. If you still say these things you deserve to die.

Vampire Weekend's "Holiday"
This song was fine until they started repeating the Honda Civic commercial non-stop for the past month on both the TV and radio.

Synergy (Astoria)
Words can't describe how much I hate this gym. There is nothing wrong with the physical equipment, my problems are:
1) The instructors. This doesn't go for all of them, but there are a select few whose machismo is intolerable. Being harassed (sexually and being yelled at in general) are not what I paid for.
2) The chick who does "cardio dance" doesn't actually dance. I moved my feet back and forth a few times but that was it. FOR 45 MINUTES. I burned more calories watching the clock in that class.
3) Most of the time the instructors don't play music. NO MUSIC! How can you conduct an hour-long class and not play music? The only thing silence motivates me to do is want to punch you in the face.
4) The few classes I have experienced that do play music have been Eurotrash techno crap which I presume a majority of the 20-30 year old population of Astoria listens to (unfortunately this demographic includes my upstairs neighbor.) This is the one circumstance where it's actually better to not play any music.

Believe it or not, there were some things I liked, and even greatly enjoyed in 2010, such as:

My Fendi Sunglasses
I don't think I've ever owned a pair of sunglasses that cost more than $10 and not bought from a street vendor until now. Hooray for quality.

Dexter and Mad Men Being late to the game is never a bad thing.

Also, one more show (my favorite of the three?) -

Skins (UK version)
I'm totally obsessed with this show and maddened that my following "like" is not streaming Season 4 yet. And while we're talking about this, doesn't Sid look like Badly Drawn Boy's son?
Netflix
How did I not discover the wonders of Netflix sooner? This has basically changed my life - for the better for me, but for the worse for anyone who actually wants to socialize with me.

Mark Ronson
I knew a handful of songs from his first album, but I heard a lot more upon discovering that we had the NME channel while staying in an apartment in Spain. I went to see him at Webster Hall since and can't stop listening to his latest album. "Bang Bang Bang" and "Glass Mountain Trust"for the win! deserve a listen, or 12.
"Bang Bang Bang"


The Bed Intruder Song

51 million youtube hits, what's not to like?

Light Up Beer Pong
Okay, I don't actually like it that much but I thought I'd post new photos.

I'm sure I'll think of more things that pissed me off this year so stay tuned. Ho ho ho.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Two comments:
#1 - Stu's dad recently sold his house to Niki Minaj. Random! You can see it in her documentary that plays on MTV.
#2- I don't get 30 Rock either. I thought I was alone in thinking it was not funny. So happy to see that I have company :)

Anonymous said...

You're wrong about Minaj (she's a brilliant rapper) and 30 Rock (still makes me laugh more than anything else on TV), but right about Skins - you'd better catch up quick cos Series 5 is about to begin over here!