Thursday, December 18, 2008

Love Is a Time Machine

Last night was Oasis at The Garden. IT WAS AWESOME!!! As if I'd say anything different.

They had a good mix of songs, didn't concentrate solely on the new album, played a couple of my favorites, and satisfied the (mostly English) audience from what I could tell. The best was 'Supersonic' which ended the main set. From what I can remember (order is def mixed up), they played:
Fuckin' in the Bushes
Rock N' Roll Star
Lyla
The Shock of the Lightning
Cigarettes and Alcohol
To Be Where There's Life
Slide Away
The Meaning of Soul
The Masterplan (!!!)
Songbird
Morning Glory
The Importance of Being Idle (and you thought I made up the blog title myself)
I'm Outta Time
Wonderwall
Supersonic

Encore:
Don't Look Back in Anger
Falling Down
Champagne Supernova
I Am the Walrus

The thing about seeing Oasis live is not just that the music is amazing. I also have a lot of memories that go with both the songs and the shows. I always feel like I'm 16 when I see them and I this strange kind of innocence falls over me. It brings back memories of hearing "Live Forever" for the first time live and loving the way Noel changed his falsetto for each chorus, or realizing that they repeated the same verse in "Acquiesce" live but never did both original verses (ever as far as I am aware.) So many phases I've gone through seeing them live - being a teenager going into the city to see my favorite band for the first time, knowing every in and out of their live performance from having listened to it on repeat for months and being able to scream what song was supposed to come next, going to Milan by myself and almost getting killed by Italian fans who broke the gates down to run inside (didn't matter because I had been lucky enough to be crushed up against a part of the fence that was 5 feet from Liam randomly smoking a cigarette), waiting for them outside Radio City and catching one of Andy Bell's cigarettes (which I still have in a Ziploc bag), seeing them with an ex-boyfriend who was pretty embarrassed to be at an Oasis show, dancing in the Glastonbury mud with (mostly new) English friends kicking off an amazing festival experience, seeing them play MSG for the first time which was huge for them in NY, jumping up and down to 'Lyla' with Liz at V Festival, and finally seeing them again now after a too-long hiatus. Some cancellation disappointments in between set aside, this band has played an important role to me throughout various stages of my life.
Tonight I'm a Rock N Roll Star
What's the Story Morning Glory? Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll...

Forgot to mention that Ryan Adams opened. I missed the first half but he sounded pretty good from what I saw and surprisingly didn't act like a dick at all. I only have his first album and know a few other songs, turned out I didn't know anything he played though. This is probably because he's released close to 395 albums in the last few years. Unrelated but do you remember that song "Standing at a Broken Phone Booth With Money in my Hand" or whatever it's called? I just heard it. Random!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The crowd don't seem very excited!

Meredith said...

It was all seated :(