Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Hot in Herre

Agh, been totally busy lately. I'm most likely moving this Sunday into Meghan's apt in Dormandie which is super exciting! I really tried hard to avoid the UES but I think this will be a good thing, especially considering that I've counted it out, and I've got 9 friends in the neighborhood. On top of that, I'm in a really good mood because I've been handed my official offer letter from work and I "start" on June 30th, wahoo!
fhdxhbh
I watched the new movie version of Hairspray last night (not that I'd seen the original or Broadway show before.) Anyways, I thought that John Travolta totally sounded like Dr. Evil. Did anyone else think that? And speaking of him, I woke up two weeks ago to the sound of my mom yelling "YOU LOOK LIKE A NAZI!!!," later learning that my brother completely shaved his head.
=
I saw Augustana at Bowery a few weeks ago. I don't have the new album yet but the songs I didn't know sounded mostly slow and good. They took a very different approach to this show - singing together a capella, using a mandolin, etc.

Photos:

My favorite of the night was a song which I can only assume is called "Fire" which was just the singer and the piano/keyboard player (what was it, I can't remember?) They didn't play 'Bullets' (poo!) but they did play 'Stars and Boulevards':


I have to give a shout out to the first opening act David Ford. He did one of those record your instrument then add another and record it things and it sounded terrific.

There was a second opening act as well (this did not make me happy, I'd had a really long day), and they were called Wild Sweet Orange or Sweet Georgia Peach or something. They totally reminded me of guys I would have been friends with in college (if I'd have gone to some hippy dippy school in the middle of nowhere.)
I saw The Wombats last week. Not impressed. Don't get me wrong, they weren't bad, I just was bored. It was pretty standard, they sounded just like the album and I couldn't be bothered to be enthusiastic. Also, I felt kind of old listening to their music even though I do love a few of their songs (others just have ridiculous lyrics - Patricia the Stripper? Come on now.)

I went to Fire Island a few weeks ago. I did not have the best time as my sinuses decided to have a party in my face, but I did get to lay on the beach a bit (it was ice cold at night) and had my fair share of Rocket fuels.

Kat, we missed you :(

Heather getting her corn on Megra & Er Ilyssa & Faith Heather & Moi Travis & Kristine

We were peeing on ourselves watching Heather go "downstairs."

In my old FI days, I never used to go to Albatross. I found the music to be slightly delightful this time around (oldies and such.) Also the 5 rum punch is quite the shit as well. As you can tell from the guy behind us, all of Staten Island invaded Flynn's. I'm never going to Ocean Bay Park again.Miss Jessica came out on Sunday

Heather got "stuck" on the hook (thanks for almost making me pee in my pants again.)

Mr. Max came out as well Also, Mr. Pete's bday was last week. Celine baked cupcakes:

MTV coworkers Slaves

That was followed by Erica's bday:

Dave was here about a month ago and I hadn't posted photos. So, without further ado:

Dave and his Monkey

His umbrella broke in the middle of 2nd avenue which I found to be quite funny.

Rockin' the Rock Band after work (Celine, Cheryl, & Alexis)

Dave was very happy to finally find Chang in NY

We went to Johnny Utah's for Jessica's birthday where she rode the mechanical bull.

I drove over the Brooklyn Bridge for the first time on the way to Vicki and Thom's. Battery Park City shot I had to get my 25 cent horse on

We went bowling at Dave & Busters. Check out our form:

And our crappy scores:

About to go out to the 100 degree heat ugggghhhh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David Ford was the singer in Easyworld, who I loved in about 2001. And he did a brilliant cover of 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' last year... probably my favourite ever Smiths cover.

Big Daddy said...

Congrats on the job hire!