Monday, September 24, 2007

The Chemicals Between Us

I finally came out of my shell this weekend and went out. On Friday night, Ryan and I saw Gruff Rhys of Super Furry Animals at Hiro. First let me comment on this place - I went there in one of its opening weeks 2 years ago, I think for Cheeky Bastard though I'm not entirely sure. That was not in the main space which I had only walked through the once. This show was in the main room and my god it really is gorgeous! It's decorated all Japanese style from the lanterns to the seats, you'll have to go there to get the full effect.

So, the show was just Gruff with a Welsh folk singer, I forgot her name. I didn't know any of his solo stuff, and I'm very limited in Super Furries knowledge but every guy I've ever met whose seen the band live can't stop singing their praises so I'd figure I'd go. The show was really different. For a start, half the songs were in Welsh. They sat at a table with a bunch of different contraptions on it, they would make noises with them, record them and use those sounds to play behind the vocals. They were all weird things like a metronome and boxes that blasted electronic noises and stuff. He talked a lot too which was entertaining, plus he's got a nice voice. Very unique show, I recommend.

On Saturday I won tickets from Brooklyn Vegan to see the Chemical Brothers at McCarren Pool. I was super excited because although I'm not that into electronic music, CB were one of the groups I've always wanted to see live, figuring the atmosphere would be amazing (I've seen The Prodigy, Roni Size, and Underworld at festivals and loved them but there's always someone I like better up against the Chems and I keep missing them.) Also, there was no way I was paying $45 for a ticket, so thanks again BV!

My brother and I arrived at the end of Ladytron (only got to see 'Destroy Everything You Touch' - good for me though since it's one of only two songs of theirs that I know.) The DJs in between were The Rub, they were so good! At the end of the set they played a dance-version of 'Poison' too (speaking of, a guy with a horrible voice was just singing that in the salad place and I had to turn away because I couldn't stop laughing.) Then the Chemical Brothers came on, the energy was strong and the crowd was definitely enjoying it. They opened with 'Galvanize.' Here's a video:

The visuals were great:

I only actually own one of their albums and a couple of their singles so I was slightly disappointed that they only played a few songs I knew (no Noel Gallagher collaborations or 'The Test', oh wells me.) Also, I'd never been to McCarren before because god forbid I travel all the way from my house to Williamsburg (I always forget about the G train which is crap anyway, but it actually only took me 45 minutes from Union Tpke. to the pool.) So anyways, what a great place for a show! So spacious, no one stepped on me, and it was easy to dance, it was by far a better version of Central Park Summerstage.
srgysxh
Afterwards Faith and Kristine hosted a girls night out starting at their apartment (which ended up being girls night out plus my brother in the end.) We went to Branch; I've never been a huge fan of that place, but since I've come back from the UK, I'm into my new philosophy of Every Bar Deserves A Second Chance (very nice of me considering I'm the pickiest person when it comes to Manhattan venues - though I know my birthday choice doesn't show much for that.) It was fine, we danced a lot, saw some visiting Brits, and oh yeah, the DJ was a TOTAL ASSHOLE. He wouldn't take my friends' requests, but instead of being nice about it, he was a big cock. We ended up dancing in front of him to 'Umbrella' sticking our middle fingers up at him to the beat throughout the song, he even made an announcement over the mic that he was"getting really aggravated here." Good, because you're an asshole!

No comments: