Friday, June 08, 2007

Watching You Will Light Up My Mind

So, I went to two great shows this week. The first one was The Features on Wednesday night at Mercury Lounge. I didn't let the fact that they didn't go on until 11:20 pm get to me too much, after all I had $2 mixed drink happy hour beforehand!

The band on before The Features were called Wax Fang. Although they looked like the love children of Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Doobie Brothers (aw man, should've added that one to my previous Equations post!), and I wasn't anticipating liking them (I just don't like that Southern rock thang...although I just physically purchased 'On Call' by Kings of Leon and I think I'm actually beginning to like them - shhhh, DON'T TELL ANYBODY!), they were really good. I don't think I'd go see them on purpose but the music was surprisingly decent.

Anyways, The Features rocked the hizzouse (at least I felt like they did even though the only people showing it were the three guys in the front row who were bopping their right legs like they were having a seizure.) They were so good that an about-to-vomit-and-leave Liz got up at the first song and boogied her way through the entire set (can't believe I just said boogied.)

Rollum, my most favorite drummer of any band ever, was in great form (even though he wasn't making his rolling-his-eyes face that I love), as was everyone else. See for yourself:

'Me and the Skirts'
Here are some photos as well:
Crazy Leg-Boppers The Nice Lead Singer
Hi, You Are So Awesome

We met the singer too, he was really nice. We asked what had happened to the encore (because there was none) and he genuinely said he didn't think people wanted to hear one. We were like, what?? no way!! We talked a bit about the new EP (which I bought and I'm loving) and about the tour and stuff. I told him how I first found out about them when they played before Dogs Die in Hot Cars at Mercury Lounge in 2004 but he didn't really remember that gig (DDIHC did fall off the planet so I'd think I'd have forgotten about it too.) I also told him that when they opened for Razorlight in '05 they were way better (but not to tell them - not sure why I said that last bit?)

Super Groupies Strike Again

Then last night I went to see Eric Hutchinson. I knew nothing about this guy; only that Matt loves him and that Erica said he was really charismatic. Now that I've seen him for myself, I do have to say wow, not even at him being funny onstage, but that his songs were really catchy and refreshing. He switched between the piano and the guitar, sometimes with a backing band, sometimes acoustic. He was also into the copy-pop-music-in-a-silly-way thing and dissected Justin Timberlake's songs (he played them to show how they were actually all the same song), and he also ended the set with a 'My Girl'/'Ignition (Remix)' which was sooo funny. Speaking of that, when is Better Than Ezra going to come back? I need a fix!! Anyways, so go see Eric Hutchinson because he's great, it'll be in a small venue, and will be very affordable!

No comments: