Thursday, April 19, 2007

Commerce Bank is the New Washington Mutual

Just to confirm what I discovered in London and today rediscovered in New York: Pret A Manger is shit!

My complaint about them in London was something specific to myself - that all the sandwiches have mayonnaise on them. They finally came out with a mozzarella/pine nuts salad thing about four months ago which was the only edible food in the shop besides the soup for me.

I went to one today as a last minute lunch resort after an unsuccessful search for Cafe Zaiya which Ryan had recommended to me. There were less sandwiches with mayo - I need to give them a bit of credit for that (although the selection was less as well) but I still decided to go the safe way and order Chicken and Corn Chowder soup. I sat down and opened the container to find it was really brothy, not what I was expecting from a chowder. I gave it a go - not expecting my head to practically explode from the spice. It was so hot - I never do things like this but I actually had to go up to an employee and ask if I was given the correct soup, which apparently I was. I couldn't believe it, I could barely bring myself to swallow, the stuff was so unbelievably hot. This place needs to seriously consider adding descriptions to their soups, especially if it tastes like what mine did today (I'd do it myself a la the comments box but I don't want to go back there if I don't have to.)

On another note regarding Pret, I know someone in London who interviewed for a job there. The process is that you work there for a day, and then when the store closes, all of the employees sit in the back with you out of the room while they discuss whether they think you'd be a good fit to work there (basically a sorority rush meeting.) He did not get picked and was dismissed by the manager!

Boycott Pret A Manger, eat at your local overpriced deli instead.

No comments: