Thursday, September 28, 2006

I Think I'm Turning Japanese I Really Think So

Last night I did a random music/film quiz at The Warwick on Essex Road. After the first question was 'name five movies starring Cher', I thought we were doomed (got 3 right though), and by question number 50 that assumption proved to be correct.

As hard as it was, we did manage to get a bunch right (embarassing questions involving Wilson Phillips, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, and Sexxyback) and they had some really random rounds like the Kenny Loggins Footloose Challenge. What it was, was the MC playing Footloose on the turntables whilst spinning another record and you had to decipher what the other song/artist was. By the fourth one I was thinking gimmie a break this is impossible, I just wrote 'Footloose' as a joke. Turns out number 5 was actually 'Footloose' against 'Footloose'! (Liz was wondering why the beat sounded similar.) The other round that gets the award for best music pub quiz round ever was the translation round. They took a song title, translated it into Japanese, and then translated it back into English and it sounded totally different. Can someone please tell me why 'Permanently' translates from 'Back for Good' rather than 'Live Forever'?

Also, if anyone can tell me what 90s band was originally known as Ted Ed Fred I'll give you $94 because I couldn't believe the answer. Ok I'm lying, I'll just give you a high five.

2 comments:

Big Daddy said...

Nirvana, I think.

Meredith said...

Yeah, how random is that?!