Sunday, August 06, 2006

Did You Know? (Thailand Edition)

  • In most public places the toilets are a hole in the ground you use via squatting? (I'm a bit out of practice since I haven't done this since Italy '93)
  • Flushing the toilet when they are holes means taking buckets of water and tossing it into the hole to push everything down? (this includes our current toilet in our guest house)
  • There are geckos everywhere on the walls and ceilings, including in most of our hotel rooms? (one committed accidental suicide last night by falling from the restaurant awning straight onto the ground)
  • The shower is not separated in the bathroom; it's placed on the wall and you just walk into the bathroom and use it? (the water hits the toilet, sink, etc)
  • There are 7-11s all over Thailand? (like every 5 blocks)
  • There are also McDonalds, Subway, Swensons, Dunkin Donuts, & Blockbuster? (not sure why considering they sell bootleg DVDs on the street)
  • You can buy bottles of whiskey in the bar which comes with a bucket of ice for super cheap?
  • They may do this in London and NY (though not that I am aware of), cockroaches fly? (as did one that brushed against my head about 15 minutes ago when I was eating)
  • The speedboat that takes you from Thailand to Laos is the scariest thing ever? (we switched to the slow boat, we'd rather save ourselves than go on that deathtrap - I am NOT kidding, I almost shit myself just from looking at it)

Current Situation: In Chiang Khong (spelling?), going to immigration tomorrow morning, then onto the two day slow boat to Laos. Am no longer worried about the journey itself, bit still a little bit about the communist guerrillas awaiting my arrival.

2 comments:

WelshSoxFan said...

Do the Gecko's in Thailand talk in Cockney accents like the one on the TV?

Meredith said...

That's funny cause I just told Laura about that commercial. They don't make sounds. I actually think they are cute now (which is surprising considering they hang out on our ceilings.) By the way, doesn't the Geico gecko have a proper English accent?