Saturday, April 22, 2006

Come Back To Camden

Thursday night was the Camden Crawl, and the NME most definitely blew their load all over town. Every band they've been raving about for the past six months were playing within a one mile radius of each other in an eight hour period. After exchanging our tickets for wristbands, I spotted a one Russell Lissack of Bloc Party who had just exchanged his ticket as well. A bit of a celebrity letdown considering I'd already met him but nevertheless...

We started out at the Electric Ballroom to catch The Young Knives. Mairead asked me if I caught the humor factor, but I think I was too busy arguing about fats vs. carbohydrates to notice. They were okay, on the unique side which was a good thing.

We hopped over to Lock 17 next to watch the Maccabees who were pretty average. We watched maybe 3/4 of their set and left for Koko to check out Guillemots who were very original and the best of the three bands up till that point.

After chomping down on chicken and falafel, we went to Dublin Castle an act and a half early thinking we'd fool all the other crawlers in order to see Supergrass at 11:30 pm (this was probably about 9:30 pm.) We got there though and the queue was 100+ long which made me sad. At that point I figured we prob. had a better shot at getting in to see The Futureheads at Koko rather than Dirty Pretty Things at the Ballroom. Not the end of the world, but I've just been in a phase where The Futureheads have started to annoy me because I realized that I'm just as good as them in terms of writing lyrics, being that they write songs about literally anything and just sing them like a robot and became popular for them. I understand there is also music involved, but how do lyrics such as 'I ask a question, you make a comment, Impossible, to make a comment, I ask a question, you make a comment, Can you say that again, 'cos i didnt catch your comment' become popular?!

Knowing we would never make it into Barfly pre-headliner time for the Spinto Band, we thought we'd go to The Purple Turtle to catch Morning Runner, which by some miracle we walked right into. I thought they were the best band of the night, plus I got a seat at the bar which made the experience even better.

Thinking we'd get right into Koko after that for Futureheads, we were very mistaken as the queue was wrapped around the corner(?!) We gave up quickly and went to hear the Kerrang DJs at the Underworld who played the most horrible hard rock/metal-type music ever. They played a few random nineties songs that reminded me of high school, like 'Bullet with Butterfly Wings', but my head was going to potentially explode, so we went back to Koko for the Crawl afterparty...where there was even a queue post-Futureheads, grrr!!

After queueing for about 20 minutes and still waiting around the corner, someone randomly opened up a side door to exit the venue and we decided to rebel and run in through the doors with some other people. We got in unscathed which was probably the biggest success of the night.

Klaxons ended the crawl which was the most exciting thing for me since I've been wanting to see them for the past two months. They were good, I wanna see them in a small venue though because I think the crowd would be more fun. And you know you've got the uniqueness factor down when you start and end every song with a foghorn thingy (by the way, I just found out that the trademark used for a foghorn thingy is in fact called a klaxon - am I the only person who didn't know that?) It was also really cute to see some of the other bands dancing and singing on the side of the stage while Klaxons were playing. I want to be in a band just so I can do that.

Anyway, part of our Camden Crawl goodie bag contained a double cd with a song by every band that participated. What I want to know is why, when I put Disc 1 into my computer, does it come up on iTunes as titled Bukkake Ruined My Carpet, the songs are all by Cocknocker, and the song titles include ones such as 'Rusty Rim Licker' and 'Hillbilly Rectum Swap.' Methinks someone is in trouble.

I also think I just OD'ed on linkage.

Current Music: O-Zone - Dragostea Din Tei (Alo, Salut, sunt eu, un haiduc!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you thought Morning Runner were the best band of the night, then you'll probably be pleased to hear that in all the confusion of the Benicassim line-up additions last week, a few slipped through unnoticed... Morning Runner and Mojave 3 are both playing, both of which should be ace.

Hope you enjoyed Saturday - I'm emailing you a link to photos shortly!

Big Daddy said...

I'm sorry, but I think this is genius:

'What I want to know is why, when I put Disc 1 into my computer, does it come up on iTunes as titled Bukkake Ruined My Carpet, the songs are all by Cocknocker, and the song titles include ones such as 'Rusty Rim Licker' and 'Hillbilly Rectum Swap.' Methinks someone is in trouble.'

Hee hee.

Also, I finally got around to getting Stereophonics latest one. I totally dig it. Can listen to the whole thing, which is rare for me.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Glad it wasnt just me who had a CD full of cocknocker!
I linked to your blog on mine as the "Rusty Rim Licker" stuff cracked me up.

Cheers

Meredith said...

I've been too lazy to change the titles but I still refuse to upload the disc like that.

Cheers for the comments guys!