Saturday, February 18, 2006

Brits 2006 - Wrap-Up

Ways I can procrastinate in order not to work on my dissertation:
  • Clean my room
  • Clean the rest of the flat
  • Fool around on the internet/chat to people on MSN
  • E-mail professor asking for an extension for dissertation introduction due date (a valid question considering our colloquium has been pushed back by one week)
  • Apply for a job working at the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development conference in May
  • Take a nap

That should cover it for now. I had to wake up early this morning to meet Tomo at the British Library to discuss our Latin America presentation. I finished my part of the PowerPoint and he thinks it looks really good, so I officially have the seal of approval! (By the way, we're not supposed to have more than 30 slides, and we have 101.)

I haven't been up to anything too crazy lately. Last night the Alexander Phlegming people had a party at Bluu in Hoxton so I went to that. They surprisingly played fun 50's music like they do at Boogaloo. Then we went to Legion and I was suddenly really drunk and didn't feel like staying for long, so Ana and I left around 2:00 am I think. I'd met a Welsh dude named Jake at the first bar who I hung out with. He came with me to the second bar, but we didn't really speak there. Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

This has also been a really strange week for me technology-wise. Between 1 MSN chat, 1 AIM chat, 1 e-mail, and a couple of text messages, I have reached a definite conclusion that boys are both random and weird. I wonder if the things they've said to me would have ever come out of their mouths if we didn't have these modern methods of communication?

And now, for a brief commentary on the Brits 2006:

Coldplay Performance - Chris Martin was a total spasmatazz, it was a little disturbing. And is it just me or is he looking like Justin Guarini lately?

KT Tunstall Outfit/Performance - I don't care how skinny you are, no one should EVER wear vertical striped black and white pants. I have to say her black top and pink dress were stunning though. Also, those girls who came out on the stage? What was that? During a KT Tunstall performance?? I guess the song would have been a bit bland without them; they reminded me of the two random girls who danced with I Am Kloot at V.

Kaiser Chiefs Acceptance Speeches - I'm really glad they swept (well, I guess three awards isn't sweeping, but compared to everyone else they did well.) I'm also happy they won best live act because, well, they're great live. They did have the worst acceptance speeches I've heard in a long time though. You'd think the anal drummer would have had something properly prepared.

Madonna Outfit/Acceptance Speech - She has got an amazing body, but she definitely should have been wearing a bra. Also, that mish-mosh accent, I really can't stand it. How can she not realize that everyone knows it's ridiculously fake, and just makes her sound like an idiot?

James Blunt Performance - Dude looked scared shitless when he started his performance. I guess I would be too if so many people disliked me. People need to calm down with the insults (cough, Ben, cough); he's not completely talentless or horrible, he's okay and there's no need to verbally beat him up so much.

Kanye West Outfit/Acceptance Speech - Those glasses are so wrong. They look like toy ones my brother had when he was like 6. Unless he's really doing it for a laugh and not being serious? Also, remember kids that no one should release an album when December Registration drops - it's for your own good.

Arctic Monkeys Acceptance Speech - I would love to know how much of the public knew that it was Keith We Are Scientists who was speaking on behalf of Arctic Monkeys?

I missed the beginning of the show, including the Kaiser Chiefs' performance. I think they're repeating it today so watching it provides another bullet for my procrastination methods.

Current Music: Subsonica - Tutti I Miei Sbagli

No comments: