Sunday, November 06, 2005

Una Buona Fine Settimana

Michaela came from Spresiano to visit me this weekend. It was a short trip, but I haven't seen her in two years so it was really fun.

Micky's flight was delayed on Friday so I figured I would make the most out of the night and go out before she arrived. I started a bit later than I'd hoped (6:30 pm, not 5:00 pm as stated in a previous post), met John from school at Liberties and downed some green olives. We then proceeded to his penthouse flat, I had some much needed Absolut Citron and Red Bull and attempted to defend John and Haley's roommate from their constant mental harassment. I feel bad for roommate #3 but he needs to learn to attack the other two verbally rather than hitting them in the ankle with darts. I will be sure to continue helping him with his retaliation tactics.

Before leaving the flat I updated their wipe board calendar by adding "Be Gay" all over it which was fun. After that I headed to The Good Mixer with Laura. The Citron smacked me hard from before so I don't remember much of the bar except for liking some guy's smooth head. I left to pick Micky up at Liverpool Street and I have no idea what happened to Laura, smoothhead and his friends.

Upon arrival back at my flat, Micky presented me with a huge block of fresh cheese and salami. I definitely ate at least 1/4 of the meat; you can argue all you want but fresh Italian salamis are definitely the most satisfying.

We got an early start on Saturday down at Camden Market. Most of the day was dedicated to shopping since we've both sightseen here already (together) and she lives in a small town and doesn't have our everyday shopping exposure (H&M, Topshop, etc.)

On Saturday afternoon I had my first meal in London's Chinatown. It was better than any Chinese food I've had here so far but still pales in comparison to any dump take-out in NY. I was hesitant so I went with the beef in oyster sauce which is almost always a safe bet.

After regeneration back at the flat, we got ready to meet Liz to watch a fireworks display in Kensal Green. Good thing she called me just as we were about to get on the Silverlink asking me if I was coming to meet her at BETHNAL Green.

That option was now obviously out so we stopped at John's to check out the fireworks from his balcony. After that we headed down to The Roxy for Dan M.'s leaving thing but we got there and the bar wasn't open yet. Micky & I went to a random pub to kill time and drink snakebites because we were too sober for The Roxy anyway. I don't remember the name of the pub, but it was on Dean Street one block off of Oxford. I either have an excellent memory or had a weird case of deja vu as I think that was most definitely the pub I went to with Welsh Dave 5 years ago. Does anyone know where the cover of the '(What's the Story) Morning Glory?' cd was shot? I'm asking this because the pub I went to with Dave was right near where that photo was taken and I'd like to know if it was the same place.

After our drinks we went back to the very packed Roxy (my first time on a Saturday, music not as good as Thursday) but Sunil, Lewis and Shane decided to go there too so we ended up dancing for the most of the night which was fun. I thought Michaela was going to pass out against the glass window a couple of times (minus the random spurts of Green Day that woke her up) but she says she had a good time.

My favorite part of the night was getting off the N20 at Camden Town to get chips and then being able to get back on the same bus two minutes later to continue on to Kentish Town. That was the best bus timing I've had yet!

This morning we headed back down to Camden Market so Micky could get a last minute gift and then went down to Trafalgar Square. We walked to Embankment to take some pictures of the Eye/I(?), St. Paul's, the giant Faberge Egg, etc. We went to Covent Garden next (which is much smaller than I remember), then bused it back over to Oxford Circus so she could shop at Urban Outfitters before leaving.

I dropped her off at Liverpool Street this afternoon, came home, had some cheese, salami and tomatoes with olive oil for dinner, then watched two episodes of Lost (which is now growing on me.)

The Harry Potter premier took place in Leicester Square today. This means that Ron Weasley is within a 20 minute vicinity of me right now. I'm sweating just thinking about it. If I remember correctly, Orange Wednesdays are 2 for 1? Please let me know if you want to see Goblet of Fire with me this week!

Current Music: Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway (and not ashamed to admit it)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goblet of Fire doesn't come out here in 'the states' till Nov 18th...

And u need to stay away from Ron Weasley---child molestor!

Anonymous said...

I'm confused about one thing... You wanted chips so bad that you got off to get them.. Do the buses run every 5 minutes there or something?

Meredith said...

First things first, chips are french fries over here so that might make a bit more sense why we were craving them!
Second thing, the night buses and 24 hour buses (the tube closes around 12:30 am) run pretty frequently. We got off the bus about a 10 minute walk from my flat so we were gonna just walk home post-chips, but after we got the chips, the bus still was randomly at the bus stop and we had unlimited weekly passes so we took it two stops back up to where I live since we are lazy.

Anonymous said...

haha, good point mel i didn't even pick up on that (just thought mer wanted something to eat!)

Meredith said...

Thanks Er! You know I always want something to eat!