Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Understanding Council Tax

I recently received a letter telling me that I need to provide evidence that I'm a student or else I'm going have to pay the monthly household Council Tax of GBP 170.00. Are you wondering what Council Tax pays for? These are some of my personal favorites from the borough of Camden in 2004:
  • Got more drug users into treatment than any other London borough by developing facilities that deter drug users from committing crimes.
  • Issued 135 Anti Social Behavior Orders since 1999 and closed 17 crack houses over the last year, far more than any inner London borough (guess I won't be seeing Pete Doherty and Kate Moss in these parts.)
  • Fitted over 5,000 home smoke alarms, mainly in the most needy neighborhoods.

I don't have a smoke alarm and I'm needy, what's up with that Camden?

So last night I saw Editors at the Astoria with much thanks to Ben who gave me his extra ticket. The Cloud Room, who are apparently from New York, opened. I'd have to give them another listen before thinking about buying them but their last song (which is currently being played on K-Rock) called Hey Now Now was very good.

Next up were We Are Scientists who were AWESOME. These guys have great songs and play really well. I think they are madly in love with all the members of Editors though which worries me a bit. Anyway go see them.

I also have to mention that we met Editors' parents. Ben figured it was them because there were three sets of older couples standing in front of us on the balcony (and trying to duck out of our way) as we were watching W.A.S. He started talking to them and as he suspected they actually knew people in common. I didn't say too much; I just had a short conversation with one of the dads as he assumed by my accent that I was there to see We Are Scientists. Very nice people, I wish I knew who the singer's parents were though, I would definitely not mind going on a blind date with him.

Finally came Editors. They were really great. My favorite song was Bullets. I don't have too much else to say except that I hope I've still got a ticket for Franz Ferdinand because they are opening.

My Jackson Hole-style burger is ready now, yum.

Current Music: Cosmic Rough Riders - Justify the Rain

2 comments:

Awreye said...

Am envious of all your gigging! Vaguely remember babbling to you about the Editors during the 14 hour wait for our big dance scene in Franz's DYWT video. Still waiting for them to make an appearance stateside.

Meredith said...

I meant to email you about it b/c I remembered you like them. I must have had a dream that I saw them listed on the Mercury Lounge website and I wish I hadn't because I mentioned it to Daddy Editor thinking they really did play and he probably thought I was crazy.