Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Fifty Million Reasons Loving in the Seasons

I just came back from seeing Shack at the Islington Academy. Nobody I know here has heard of them which puzzles me because although the venue is small (comparable to Bowery Ballroom) the place was filled with an excited (Northern) crowd. The only reason I know of the band is because back in either 2000 or 2001 I won some contest on the local Binghamton radio station and I received Shack's "HMS Fable" cd and a cd by some guy named Phillip Bailey who looks like Barry White. Anyway I loved Shack's cd but could never find anything about them on the internet. I just found out today that apparently they've been around for 20 years, who knew?? The first thing I thought when they came out was "Whoa, old!!" (just as the crowd was) but they put on a really good show and are a bit of a jammy band; I could definitely see them as an OAR opening act. Even though they didn't play my favorite song, Cornish Town, and they tricked us into thinking they were coming back for a second encore, I still enjoyed it.

On another note, I need to get a job. An American girl on my course just got a job at Starbucks. This is actually very good considering she makes the equivalent to $10.24/hour...just for making coffee! I really want to apply to HMV but then I'd have to pay for the bus there and I don't really feel like doing that.

I also visited two gyms yesterday. The first one, in Camden, I really liked but it comes out to a student discount of $989.16/year (via 3 month contracts), or $82.43/month which is definitely not in my budget. Plus I'd have to do the 10 minute walk which for someone going to the gym shouldn't be annoying but just is. Then there's the fitness center that is literally 30 seconds from my apt., but you have to pay about $10.60 every time you go! It's even more money to attend a class, which you have to reserve a spot in at least 24 hours before, and if you fail to cancel you still have to pay. That's total crap so now I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Graham and Alex's friend Rich is currently getting his appendix removed, ouch!

Current Music: Shack - Pull Together

No comments: